Overarching Research Data Issues
- Management (& Policy)
- Use/needs from partners
- Metadata Schemas
- What are the real world obstacles to large (any) scale data storage and access?
- What are researchers' curation obligations?
- JPL = (NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory). A large repository for research data.
- ICPSR = (Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research). A large repository for social science research data.
- JPL / ICPSR provides services such as:
- Not every academic institution would be expected to have its own research data management apparatus implemented.
- There are some large scale (and even domain specific?) research data repositories available in the public/private sphere.
- On-campus research data solutions are generally for a specific audience - those large enough to collect significant data but yet not reached by JPL/ICPSR type repositories.