Difference between revisions of "Association of Moving Image Archivists & Digital Library Federation Hack Day 2014"

From CURATEcamp
Jump to: navigation, search
(Video characterization tool analyzer)
(Wikipedia Edit-a-thon topic proposals)
 
(73 intermediate revisions by 20 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
SIGN UP HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16uZEWO5wDs6FdwpzpRwpKm3IBvonHNFrVUaZ2nkNcis/edit#gid=0
 +
 
'''>>> When, Where, What time?'''
 
'''>>> When, Where, What time?'''
 
*Date: '''Wednesday, October 8, 2014'''
 
*Date: '''Wednesday, October 8, 2014'''
 
*Time: '''~9am-5pm''' (with option of continued work projects throughout the conference in our Developer Lounge TBA location)
 
*Time: '''~9am-5pm''' (with option of continued work projects throughout the conference in our Developer Lounge TBA location)
*Location: Hyatt Regency Savannah, '''Savannah Room'''
+
*Location: Hyatt Regency Savannah, '''Scarborough 3 Room'''
 
*hashtag: '''#AVhack14'''
 
*hashtag: '''#AVhack14'''
 
* IRC:  '''#curatecamp_avpres_1''' If using an IRC client the server is '''chat.freenode.net''', or you can use your browser and connect to [http://webchat.freenode.net webchat.freenode.net]. If you are unfamiliar with IRC, take a look at this ☞ [http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html#detail brief introduction].  
 
* IRC:  '''#curatecamp_avpres_1''' If using an IRC client the server is '''chat.freenode.net''', or you can use your browser and connect to [http://webchat.freenode.net webchat.freenode.net]. If you are unfamiliar with IRC, take a look at this ☞ [http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html#detail brief introduction].  
Line 61: Line 63:
 
* Work done at the conference over presentation of something prepared earlier (meaning not working on a project you a working on during your day job)
 
* Work done at the conference over presentation of something prepared earlier (meaning not working on a project you a working on during your day job)
  
=Hack Day Project proposals=
+
=Hack Day Projects=
  
 
Below are loose ideas for projects to hack on! If you're interested in one of the project stubs below, [http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/Special:RequestAccount sign up for a wiki login] and add your thoughtful comments or possible starting points to the proposal, or contact the proposer via twitter or email. As the Hack Day approaches, we'll brainstorm further and consolidate like-minded projects.
 
Below are loose ideas for projects to hack on! If you're interested in one of the project stubs below, [http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/Special:RequestAccount sign up for a wiki login] and add your thoughtful comments or possible starting points to the proposal, or contact the proposer via twitter or email. As the Hack Day approaches, we'll brainstorm further and consolidate like-minded projects.
  
==== Hacking on video capture via ffmpeg + qctools + decklink sdk====
+
== Hack day capture: GUI tool for BMDCapture, using FFmpeg + BMDTools + BlackMagic Decklink SDK==
* [https://twitter.com/dericed @dericed]
+
* Proposed by Dave Rice, [https://twitter.com/dericed @dericed]
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
+
** Lauren Sorensen - [https://twitter.com/laurensx @laurensx]
** ** Ashley Blewer! - [https://twitter.com/ablwr @ablwr] -- dericed is my hero so I will follow him to the ends of the earth (and also hack video capture and purple dinosaurs)
+
** Dave Rice - [https://twitter.com/dericed @dericed]
 +
** Tommy from Video Film Solutions
 +
** Shai Drori, Independent
 +
 
 +
Adding a GUI with XCode and adding some features to vrecord, an open source tool that can be used with Blackmagic hardware. Making it so it is controlled by the GUI (Mac), outputting to MOV container with various options for codec: uncompressed, FFV1, motion JPEG-2000, Prores.
 +
https://github.com/amiaopensource/hackdaycapture
 +
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q6qEk3gHKNzf6jtEIzzl2-vKwjgUzOTXr6TmUej2mgc/edit
 +
 
 +
== New and Improved PBCore Tools ==
 +
 
 +
This team is creating two PBCore 2.0 tools which can easily be updated when the next PBCore schema version is released. The tools include an updated PBCore XML record validator and PBCore XML record generator.
 +
 
 +
'''PBCore Validator'''
 +
 
 +
Updated and replaced application components to create an improved version based on the PBCore 2.0 XML. We are also including a Dublin Core validator through the same web application.
 +
* View it: http://infinite-spire-2035.herokuapp.com
 +
* Github Repo: https://github.com/tessafallon/pbcorevalidator/
 +
 
 +
'''PBCore Record Generator'''
 +
 
 +
We built a basic Rails webform and extracted the PBCore export code from the WGBH project HydraDAM developed by WGBH and DCE so that we have a lightweight web application to enter metadata based on the PBCore data model and export in well-formed PBCore 2.0 XML. We are also planning to provide a Dublin Core export via this form.
 +
* View it: http://pb-form.curationexperts.com/
 +
* Github repo: http://github.com/mark-dce/pb-form/
 +
* Wireframe for full version: https://github.com/mark-dce/pb-form/issues/2
 +
 
 +
'''Team Members'''
 +
 
 +
*Proposed by Casey E. Davis, WGBH
 +
*Mark Bussey, DCE
 +
*Tessa Fallon, Collective Access
 +
*Crystal Sanchez, Smithsonian Institution
 +
*keithg, Virginia Tech
  
====PBCore XML Record Generator (data submitted via a form, which spits out PBCore XML)? Updated PBCore Record Validator?====
 
* casey_davis [at] wgbh [dawt] org [https://twitter.com/CaseyEDavis1 @CaseyEDavis1]
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
* Crystal Sanchez- I would love to work on this- I think if we could have a dropdown with a few kinds of XML to spit out- that would be great. I am looking for XMP data in addition to PBCore and I can bring a template of fields. (we support XMP mapping for ingesting video to our DAMS). What other XML schemas? and a tool like this does not exist yet?- maybe even add Exiftool in the mix here to optionally write to supported file types?
 
* Mark Bussey - have you looked at extracting the code from [https://github.com/curationexperts/hydradam/blob/3092a8c42d2e741bdcdd8e6b45dfc7c608a99a56/app/models/concerns/pbcore_export.rb HydraDAM xml exporter]?  I'd be happy to take a stab at this this week - more generally have you looked at [http://oxygenxml.com Oxygen]?
 
  
====Development of a UUID (universally unique identifier - String or Number) system for moving image physical/digital elements====
+
<!--
 +
==Development of a UUID (universally unique identifier - String or Number) system for moving image physical/digital elements==
 
There will be a UUID registrar. The registrar server would hold the UUID and pointer to metadata/item information. This would allow a wide range of possible usages from access information to relational trees. Because we do not want to limit this assignment for elements where there is no internet access there will be a system similar to MAC addresses/UPCs where a registered archivist/lab/individual could be given a UUID blocks for assignment offline and then register later online without collision. The UUID could be made into a 1D or 2D bar code or human readable marking on the element for instant access through the server pointer to metadata on the content and physical item.  
 
There will be a UUID registrar. The registrar server would hold the UUID and pointer to metadata/item information. This would allow a wide range of possible usages from access information to relational trees. Because we do not want to limit this assignment for elements where there is no internet access there will be a system similar to MAC addresses/UPCs where a registered archivist/lab/individual could be given a UUID blocks for assignment offline and then register later online without collision. The UUID could be made into a 1D or 2D bar code or human readable marking on the element for instant access through the server pointer to metadata on the content and physical item.  
 
* tommy [at!] videofilmsolutions [dawt] com [https://twitter.com/VideoFilmSol @VideoFilmSol]
 
* tommy [at!] videofilmsolutions [dawt] com [https://twitter.com/VideoFilmSol @VideoFilmSol]
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 +
-->
 +
 +
==Video Characterization Comparison Viewer==
 +
The tool runs multiple command line video characterization applications (ffprobe, mediainfo, exiftool) on a given AV file/set of files and outputs the results in a format that is easy for comparative analysis. The aim of the tool is to identify differences in the outputs of these common applications, with the goal of better understanding the tools, and possibly submitting reports to their developers and eventually improving them.
 +
 +
'''Use cases for the tool'''
 +
* Compare different tool outputs in order to determine what tool to use in your characterization workflows
 +
* Reporting on differences in order to understand how the tool calculates the outputs
 +
* Identifying bugs in order to report to the tool developers
 +
 +
This project build on a similar project that was developed during the Open Repositories 2014 Developer Challenge (although the #AVHack14 version is bigger and better). [http://or2014.helsinki.fi/?p=966 Read more about that here.]
  
 +
'''Documentation'''
 +
* [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wubhYKbY4MhNYOfMJebxA7N8vkrrRPZiuD75O9B8z2Q/edit#heading=h.l60vphc93yq6 Google Docs]
 +
* [https://github.com/finoradin/characterization_compare Github repository]
  
====Video characterization tool analyzer====
+
'''Team Members'''
I would like to continue working on a project I began at the 2014 Open Repositories conference, a video characterization tool analyzer. The tool runs multiple command line video characterization applications on a given file/set of files and outputs the results in a format that is easy for comparative analysis. The aim of the tool is to identify differences in the outputs of these common applications, with the goal of submitting reports to their developers and eventually improving them. [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wubhYKbY4MhNYOfMJebxA7N8vkrrRPZiuD75O9B8z2Q/edit#heading=h.l60vphc93yq6 Read about the work started at OR2014]
+
* Kara Van Malssen
* [https://twitter.com/kvanmalssen @kvanmalssen]
+
* Ben Fino-Radin
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
+
* Morgan Morel
* Mark Bussey: in the Hydra community we use a gem called [https://github.com/projecthydra-labs/hydra-file_characterization hydra-file_characterization] as a wrapper for FITS, FFMPEG, and other tools of your choosing - if you're into ruby & rails, it might be interesting.  There's no real Hydra dependency - it's in the name and being maintained by the community, but you don't really need to be running Hydra to use it.  There are a couple of repos that are using it in production and beginning to amass some technical metadata generated this way.
+
* Joey Heinen
 +
* Nicole Martin
 +
* Karen Cariani
 +
* Eugene Gekhter
  
====Broadcast Wave header support/testing====
+
<!--
 +
==Broadcast Wave header support/testing==
 
* Further investigation of software support for Broadcast Wave header information (Audacity customization?) – justinkovar [at] utexas [dawt] edu [https://twitter.com/KovarSound @KovarSound]
 
* Further investigation of software support for Broadcast Wave header information (Audacity customization?) – justinkovar [at] utexas [dawt] edu [https://twitter.com/KovarSound @KovarSound]
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 +
-->
  
 +
==Video Sprites! ==
  
====Video thumbnail summaries as metadata====
+
Video thumbnail summaries as metadata. Created a command line program (wrapped as a Ruby gem) that exports thumbnail images, a thumbnail sprite image, and WebVTT metadata. A user can run a bash command and specify an input video or folder of video and Video Sprites will utilize ffmpeg and ImageMagick to export these files.  
I've been interested in using video preview thumbnails as a way to provide summarized access to digitized video that will unlikely get further description. You can read more about what I've done here: http://ronallo.com/blog/a-plugin-for-mediaelement-js-for-preview-thumbnails-on-hover-over-the-time-rail/ I could use help improving that JavaScript plugin or in turning the production of video thumbnails and the metadata track file into a service of some sort. I'm also happy to help as a developer on another project.  
+
 
*jronallo [at] gmail [dawt] com / [https://twitter.com/ronallo @ronallo]
+
Each command can be specified with the following flags.
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
+
* -f for frames. Optional. Time between the snapshots. (Default 5 seconds.)
** Ashley Blewer! - [https://twitter.com/ablwr @ablwr] -- B-) Open Source Report Card once called me "a distinguished JavaScripter."
+
* -w for width. Optional. Width of the each thumbnail. (Default 200.)
** Nicholas Zoss - Servicizing the processing seems interesting. I'm interested in helping on this project as I'm able.
+
* -c for columns. Number of columns in the sprite. (Default 5.)
** Jay Brown - sounds interesting and will help out as I can
+
* -k for keep. Keep all the individual images and other intermediate artifacts.
 +
* -i for input. This is the only required field. (Default: Current working directory.)
 +
* -o for output. Output directory. (Default: Current working directory with "output" directory.)
 +
* -v for verbose. Detailed comments when processing.
 +
* -z for clean. Optional. Clear the output directory for files named like the input file before execution. (Defaults to false)
 +
* -h for help. Explains each flag.
 +
 
 +
'''Documentation'''
 +
* [https://github.com/jronallo/video-sprites Github repository]
 +
 
 +
'''Team Members'''
 +
* (Proposed by) Jason Ronallo
 +
*Ashley Blewer  
 +
*Nicholas Zoss  
 +
*Jay Brown  
  
====Disk usage pie chart====
+
<!-- Original proposal:
 +
I've been interested in using video preview thumbnails as a way to provide summarized access to digitized video that will unlikely get further description. You can read more about what I've done here: http://ronallo.com/blog/a-plugin-for-mediaelement-js-for-preview-thumbnails-on-hover-over-the-time-rail/ I could use help improving that JavaScript plugin or in turning the production of video thumbnails and the metadata track file into a service of some sort. I'm also happy to help as a developer on another project. -->
 +
<!--
 +
==Disk usage pie chart==
 
Disk usage pie chart! I've been looking for a software tool that would allow us to calculate which projects are using the most server disk space in our collections, how old files are, and when they were last accessed, and then throws all of that data into visual form – like charts, graphs, and especially pie charts! I developed a web tool that just shows individual project sizes and how data is added or deleted from day to day, but it only shows a list of projects and their sizes. To convince my supervisors that certain projects are taking up too much room (and are never accessed), I have to create visuals using excel or other programs, which takes me hours but could easily be automated.  
 
Disk usage pie chart! I've been looking for a software tool that would allow us to calculate which projects are using the most server disk space in our collections, how old files are, and when they were last accessed, and then throws all of that data into visual form – like charts, graphs, and especially pie charts! I developed a web tool that just shows individual project sizes and how data is added or deleted from day to day, but it only shows a list of projects and their sizes. To convince my supervisors that certain projects are taking up too much room (and are never accessed), I have to create visuals using excel or other programs, which takes me hours but could easily be automated.  
 
*martinn [at] hrw [dawt] org  
 
*martinn [at] hrw [dawt] org  
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
+
** for a web page presentation, maybe try Google Charts?
====Video metadata wrangler====
+
-->
 +
<!--
 +
==Video metadata wrangler==
 
I would love to see a simple tool for writing metadata to video files. Most of the people I work with are not highly proficient in technology, so they work predominately with Adobe products. I would love something like- creating a form where users can type in their information to set fields, and then using Exiftool to write to the files, and/or create side-car XML files (if the file cannot be written to). I envision supporting dublin core? and being able to create various XML schemas (we use XMP). That way, collection managers would not need to have Adobe products (Premiere, Bridge is mostly what we use) to be able to manage metadata for their files as a part of their collections processing. they could use this free easy tool..!   
 
I would love to see a simple tool for writing metadata to video files. Most of the people I work with are not highly proficient in technology, so they work predominately with Adobe products. I would love something like- creating a form where users can type in their information to set fields, and then using Exiftool to write to the files, and/or create side-car XML files (if the file cannot be written to). I envision supporting dublin core? and being able to create various XML schemas (we use XMP). That way, collection managers would not need to have Adobe products (Premiere, Bridge is mostly what we use) to be able to manage metadata for their files as a part of their collections processing. they could use this free easy tool..!   
 
*[https://twitter.com/cristalyze @cristalyze]
 
*[https://twitter.com/cristalyze @cristalyze]
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 +
-->
  
 +
==ArchivesSpace plugins – AV_Space==
 +
A growing number of archival repositories are adopting ArchivesSpace for managing  archival description. But out of the box, ASpace lacks support for AV specific data. We aim to do something about that.
  
====SMIL playlists====
+
* Github repo at: [https://github.com/amiaopensource/avspace https://github.com/amiaopensource/avspace]
Harvard Library is currently commencing with a migration plan for SMIL playlists. SMIL (Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language) is a W3C-recommended XML structure for containing structural/technical metadata, time-tagging/excerpting, and relationships between multimedia files, also facilitating access to media files across servers. Harvard formerly used SMIL to aid in delivery of audio formats through RealPlayer but are moving away from that system. However, crucial metadata is contained in the SMIL playlists which need to be extracted and paired with the original Audio Decision Lists to create a new XML based off of the AES-60 convention. While a suite of tools exist for extracting header information from the SMIL files, there may be information contained in the body of the file that is still important to maintain with the more current metadata file and the software needs to be built out to accomodate this.  
+
* Plug-in documentation wiki: [https://github.com/amiaopensource/avspace/wiki/AV_Space-hack-day-project-documentation https://github.com/amiaopensource/avspace/wiki/AV_Space-hack-day-project-documentation]
*Based on the fairly Harvard-centric nature of this project (and the environment for implementing the tools) I am thinking of withdrawing this idea but welcome any interest or parallel issues from others so as to make it more agnostic!*
+
* Inspired by: discussion on the listserv about A/V materials and instances: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/archivesspace/pNn8_bWeh_w
*joeygheinen.jh [at] gmail [dawt] com
 
  
improving the SMIL application that adds timecode to TEI-encoded transcripts. Right now, you can edit the timecode but not the actual text. See attachment. It'd be great to be able to edit the text as you go. As it is now, you have to export the xml file, make the change in an XML editor and then re-import it into the SMIL tool again. It's not very fluid.
+
* Team: brianjhoffman [at] gmail [dawt] com (instigator and developer) ; jackb [at] illinois [dawt] edu ; seth [at] avpreserve [dawt] com ; ben.moskowitz [at] nyu [dawt] edu ; hfrost [at] stanford [dawt] edu ; villereal [at] gmail [dawt] com
* [twitter.com/kcariani @kcarani]
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
  
====ArchivesSpace plugins for audio / visual materials====
+
<!--
e.g., PBCore import / export; embed HTML5 video player for mp4 files.
+
==File format monitors/QA==
* brianjhoffman [at] gmail [dawt] com
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
 
 
 
 
====File format monitors/QA====
 
 
* My proposal is for building a File Format Obsolescence Analysis Engine. The purpose of the engine would be to provide information about--and options for--migrating and transcoding obsolete media file formats through simple and intuitive user interactions. The user provides the engine with an arbitrary file, which the engine then analyzes using any number of metadata forensics and validation tools (MediaInfo, JHOVE and DROID to name a few). The engine then decides whether the file needs to be migrated, or whether the current format can be considered "preservation ready". For the purpose of this proposal, "preservation ready" means that the file meets a list of minimum requirements, such as being stable and being supported by certain playback systems. However, determining a comprehensive list of these criteria is outside of the scope of this project. The output of the engine is two-fold: First it will generate a report about the input file. This report will contain the most salient aspects of the file and it's technical metadata in a format that is human readable, but can be easily parsed by a computer in order to facilitate scripting and automation. Second, the engine will move the input file to user-designated output folders according to its state (needs migration or preservation ready). These folders can be used simply to organize the files, or they may function as watch folders for transcoding engines or any other automation systems (which are out of the scope of this proposal). The two most important features of this engine are as follows: 1) The input and output should be as simple and intuitive as possible. The idea is to disseminate the engine as a general tool for the preservation community at large. Due to the wide range in technical skills available to potential users in this community it is critical that the tool be seen as "easy to use". 2) The engine needs to be built in a way that is extensible and easily updated. Due to the time constraints of this event, building a comprehensive analysis engine is out of the scope of this proposal. However, the engine's utility would be greatly enhanced if the framework is built in such a way that members of the community can easily update and add support for various file formats without compromising the previously mentioned usability. Thus, the idea would be to build a baseline that the community could then expand upon in the future.  
 
* My proposal is for building a File Format Obsolescence Analysis Engine. The purpose of the engine would be to provide information about--and options for--migrating and transcoding obsolete media file formats through simple and intuitive user interactions. The user provides the engine with an arbitrary file, which the engine then analyzes using any number of metadata forensics and validation tools (MediaInfo, JHOVE and DROID to name a few). The engine then decides whether the file needs to be migrated, or whether the current format can be considered "preservation ready". For the purpose of this proposal, "preservation ready" means that the file meets a list of minimum requirements, such as being stable and being supported by certain playback systems. However, determining a comprehensive list of these criteria is outside of the scope of this project. The output of the engine is two-fold: First it will generate a report about the input file. This report will contain the most salient aspects of the file and it's technical metadata in a format that is human readable, but can be easily parsed by a computer in order to facilitate scripting and automation. Second, the engine will move the input file to user-designated output folders according to its state (needs migration or preservation ready). These folders can be used simply to organize the files, or they may function as watch folders for transcoding engines or any other automation systems (which are out of the scope of this proposal). The two most important features of this engine are as follows: 1) The input and output should be as simple and intuitive as possible. The idea is to disseminate the engine as a general tool for the preservation community at large. Due to the wide range in technical skills available to potential users in this community it is critical that the tool be seen as "easy to use". 2) The engine needs to be built in a way that is extensible and easily updated. Due to the time constraints of this event, building a comprehensive analysis engine is out of the scope of this proposal. However, the engine's utility would be greatly enhanced if the framework is built in such a way that members of the community can easily update and add support for various file formats without compromising the previously mentioned usability. Thus, the idea would be to build a baseline that the community could then expand upon in the future.  
 
* [https://twitter.com/av_morgan @av_morgan]
 
* [https://twitter.com/av_morgan @av_morgan]
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
+
-->
*Plato is an open-source tool for instituting a preservation planning process for digital objects and integrating services for content characterisation, preservation action and automatic object comparison. Harvard Library is investigating use of this tool to help develop policies for file format migration. Ideally Plato would integrate along with a file format identification/characterization tool (FITS, DROID) and perhaps also to a designated migration tool if the requirements match (e.g. ImageMagick, ffmpeg) and a QA tool that may also communicate back to Plato so as to conform to the overall policy. At this stage we are merely investigating the functionality of this tool and are open to other ideas as to how Plato could be instituted into a broader preservation plan (though ideally with migration in mind). Taverna is another tool worth exploring that is similarly used for monitoring workflows. Any file format oddities are welcome from other institutions so as to experiment with implementing a more complex digital migration policy. 
+
<!--
* joeygheinen.jh [at] gmail [dawt] com
+
==FFmpeg GUIs==   
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
 
 
====FFmpeg GUIs====   
 
 
* [https://twitter.com/rhfraim @rhfraim]
 
* [https://twitter.com/rhfraim @rhfraim]
  
 
I would love to see a good GUI for FFMPEG. Super is nice but it doesn't have all the formats and codecs that FFMPEG has and I think a program that transcodes into any format and does more than one format at the same time would be a great benefit to small budget archives.
 
I would love to see a good GUI for FFMPEG. Super is nice but it doesn't have all the formats and codecs that FFMPEG has and I think a program that transcodes into any format and does more than one format at the same time would be a great benefit to small budget archives.
 
• srdbx [at] netvision [dawt] net [dawt] il
 
• srdbx [at] netvision [dawt] net [dawt] il
 +
-->
  
====HTML front end for the Public Media Platform==== 
+
=Wikipedia/Documentation Edit-a-thon Projects=
* https://github.com/publicmediaplatform/pmpdocs/wiki
 
* http://api.publicradio.org/pmp-browser/?tag=apm_testing&profile=story
 
  
The Public Media Platform is quickly becoming the most powerful way of getting access to content from all U.S. public television and radio stations, plus independent producers and more. The PMP is intended as an uber-API, allowing producers to store and share their content, and users to query the PMP data store via keyword, media type, date range, geo, etc. In response to a query, the PMP returns content in JSON format. This is ideal for JavaScript developers who can build a web front end by using JS to convert the JSON to HTML. But many potential users of the PMP aren't developers, and won't have access to the skills needed to use the JSON data.  
+
IRC: '''#curatecamp_avpres_2''' If using an IRC client the server is chat.freenode.net, or you can use your browser and connect to [http://webchat.freenode.net webchat.freenode.net]. If you are unfamiliar with IRC, take a look at this [http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html#detail brief introduction].
  
This project has a simple deliverable: A small JavaScript application to convert the JSON output of the PMP into HTML5. So a single story or media archive returned in JSON format from the PMP would be available as either an HTML <section> or <article> with the appropriate headings etc. Even better if we can include ARIA landmarks, title and alt attributes, and classes and IDs for styling. But styling isn't part of this proposed project; let's solve the JSON-to-HTML part, and designers can take it from there.
+
'''Day-of tracking/worksheet''' [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kKFnKx2Ah_IhJUkG3p1qA-smreonum_FuG_za02sxCU/edit?usp=sharing here!]
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N2AbBQitQK6J8dRG8ykGOLPl_FyhUjwW7FvmdgUH2BU/edit?usp=sharing Notes and tips doc]
  
*[https://twitter.com/jackbrighton @jackbrighton]
+
We’ll be hosting a concurrent Wikipedia edit-a-thon, which will focus on topics related to digital preservation & access for audiovisual materials. While we encourage non-engineers to participate in the hack day portion, there’s a lot of work to be done to describe topics relevant to our community on Wikipedia as well. (via [http://www.amiaconference.net/amiadlf-hack-day-2014/ AMIA Announcement]) Below are loose ideas for Wiki projects or topics to edit! If you're interested in one of the project stubs below, [http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/Special:RequestAccount sign up for a wiki login] and add your thoughtful comments, or contact the proposer via twitter or email.
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
 
  
Brian Hoffman
+
'''Haven't edited a Wiki before?''' No problem! We will have a brief crash course early in the day, with help available anytime! It's easy to learn, we promise.
I'm interested in this. Perhaps it would be a good case for using AngularJS or another SPA framework.
 
  
=Wikipedia Edit-a-thon topic proposals=
+
==== [http://avaa.bavc.org AV Artifact Atlas]====
  
IRC: '''#curatecamp_avpres_2''' If using an IRC client the server is chat.freenode.net, or you can use your browser and connect to [http://webchat.freenode.net webchat.freenode.net]. If you are unfamiliar with IRC, take a look at this [http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html#detail brief introduction].
+
'''Team Members'''
 +
*Kristin MacDonough
 +
*Travis Wagner
 +
*Marleigh Chiles
 +
*Josephine McRobbie
  
We’ll be hosting a concurrent Wikipedia edit-a-thon, which will focus on topics related to digital preservation & access for audiovisual materials. While we encourage non-engineers to participate in the hack day portion, there’s a lot of work to be done to describe topics relevant to our community on Wikipedia as well. (via [http://www.amiaconference.net/amiadlf-hack-day-2014/ AMIA Announcement]) Below are loose ideas for Wiki projects or topics to edit! If you're interested in one of the project stubs below, [http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/Special:RequestAccount sign up for a wiki login] and add your thoughtful comments, or contact the proposer via twitter or email.
+
'''Objective: Obtain and implement user feedback to improve the user experience'''
 +
*Proposal: The AVAA is intended for all levels of a/v knowledge, from experts and non-experts. While the resource provides a lot of useful information from experts, it benefits from more feedback and edits from general users.   [https://twitter.com/super_kmac @super_kmac]
  
'''Haven't edited a Wiki before?''' No problem! We will have a brief crash course early in the day, with help available anytime! It's easy to learn, we promise.
+
'''Activities:'''
 +
*Review and discuss navigation and usability
 +
*Edit visual elements, interconnectivity, and links to external information and resources
  
'''Have a new idea?''' Use this format:
+
==== [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Digital_Preservation#Participants Digital Preservation]====
*Topic: [link to existing Wikipedia page goes here, or new topic]
+
'''Team Members:'''
*Interested?
+
**[http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/User:Kgronsbell Kathryn Gronsbell]
*Sign up to edit this topic (OK to sign up for multiple topics):
+
**[http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/User:Sue_Bigelow Sue Bigelow]
 +
**[http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/User:athenachrista Athena Holbrook]
 +
**[http://www.twitter.com/@ewebik Genevieve Havemeyer-King (remote)]
  
==== [http://avaa.bavc.org AV Artifact Atlas]====
+
'''Objective: Update and improve Digital Preservation Wikipedia entry'''
*Interested?
+
*Proposal: Check out the great efforts to maintain and expand the Digital Preservation wiki page! "The scope of this project is to reorganize and revise the content of the current Digital Preservation article so that it reflects the current state of the field and is better suited to ongoing updating and editing. We will also review related articles to determine their content and relationship to the main article. A further goal of this effort is to include links to relevant standards and best practices in the field of digital preservation." Thanks to Lauren Sorenson and Andrea Goethals for suggesting. -- [[User:Kgronsbell|kgronsbell]] [https://twitter.com/k_grons @k_grons]
** Kristin MacDonough
 
** Help make the AVAA more user friendly! The AVAA is intended for experts and non-experts, and while the resource provides a lot of useful information, it could benefit from more user input and feedback. I will be present to help make or make note of changes. --[[User:Kristin MacDonough|kristinmac]] [https://twitter.com/super_kmac @super_kmac]
 
*Sign up to edit this topic (OK to sign up for multiple topics):
 
  
==== [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Digital_Preservation#Participants Digital Preservation]====
+
'''Activities:'''
*Interested?
+
*Review and vet [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zHAQN_S3ib_JntlXu1gljN4oLU002b3wdocFjCXHsvI/edit To Do/Done list of topics]
**[http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/User:Kgronsbell Kathryn Gronsbell]
+
*Draft and revise [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Digital_Preservation "Section 5. Preservation Fundamentals"]
**Check out the great efforts to maintain and expand the Digital Preservation wiki page! "The scope of this project is to reorganize and revise the content of the current Digital Preservation article so that it reflects the current state of the field and is better suited to ongoing updating and editing. We will also review related articles to determine their content and relationship to the main article. A further goal of this effort is to include links to relevant standards and best practices in the field of digital preservation." Thanks to Lauren Sorenson and Andrea Goethals for suggesting. -- [[User:Kgronsbell|kgronsbell]] [https://twitter.com/k_grons @k_grons]
+
*Expand and clarify [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_preservation Digital Preservation Wikipedia page]
**[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zHAQN_S3ib_JntlXu1gljN4oLU002b3wdocFjCXHsvI/edit To Do/Done list of topics]
 
*Sign up to edit this topic (OK to sign up for multiple topics):
 
  
 
====FFmpeg Guides====
 
====FFmpeg Guides====
*Interested?
+
'''Team Members'''
**[https://twitter.com/rhfraim rhfraim]
+
**Rebecca Fraimow**
**Layperson-understandable documentation for ffmpeg!  The up-to-date information out there is mostly targeted at developers; there's not a ton out there that's both up-to-date and designed for a user community.
+
**Erica Titkemeyer**
*Sign up to edit this topic (OK to sign up for multiple topics):
 
  
====Technical characteristics of tape format chart====
+
'''Objective: Make ffmpeg easier to understand and use'''
* When digitizing video tapes, it is important to preserve technical characteristics of the tape formats. I was thinking that it might be useful to have a resource (like a chart) that lists different tape formats and their important specifications (e.g. 8-bit or 10-bit, PAR, subsampling scheme...) so that one selects the right options when digitizing. – [https://twitter.com/ng_yvonne @ng_yvonne]
+
* Final doc from last year [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RFlXJGXChbIwNXs3Ka01sHj-RXNEAt1h9yWPpFvZUJ4/edit here]
* Interested? Your name + any comments/initial ideas
+
* Link to last year's project page with helpful links [http://wiki.curatecamp.org/index.php/Association_of_Moving_Image_Archivists_%26_Digital_Library_Federation_Hack_Day_2013#5._Fast_Forward:_Produce_easy-to-follow_documentation_for_the_installation_and_use_of_FFMPEG_transcoding_software here]
 +
* This is like a proof of concept but I'd really like to make it AWESOME! It also needs to be totally refactored into a non-Rails app - Ashley [http://ffmprovisor.herokuapp.com here]
 +
 
 +
'''Activities'''
 +
* Continue working on last year's guide, focusing on clear and understandable descriptions and codes for [https://github.com/amiaopensource/ffmpeg/wiki/5%29-Common-Use-Cases-and-FFmpeg-Commands common use cases] and [https://github.com/amiaopensource/ffmpeg/wiki/6%29-Transcoding-tutorial-and-use-cases transcoding]
 +
* Create glossary of [https://github.com/amiaopensource/ffmpeg/wiki/FFmpeg-Codec-Commands common encoders]

Latest revision as of 15:16, 29 October 2014

SIGN UP HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16uZEWO5wDs6FdwpzpRwpKm3IBvonHNFrVUaZ2nkNcis/edit#gid=0

>>> When, Where, What time?

  • Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2014
  • Time: ~9am-5pm (with option of continued work projects throughout the conference in our Developer Lounge TBA location)
  • Location: Hyatt Regency Savannah, Scarborough 3 Room
  • hashtag: #AVhack14
  • IRC: #curatecamp_avpres_1 If using an IRC client the server is chat.freenode.net, or you can use your browser and connect to webchat.freenode.net. If you are unfamiliar with IRC, take a look at this ☞ brief introduction.

How can I participate?

Sign up! As this will be a highly participatory event, registration is limited to those willing to get their hands dirty, so no onlookers please.

If you are unsure whether you can or want to participate in the hack day itself, you can still see the results by attending the AMIA closing plenary, where hack day projects will be presented, and the audience will have an opportunity to vote on their favorites.

What will be the format of the event?

In advance of the hack day, project ideas and edit-a-thon topics will be collected through the registration form and the event wiki. In advance of the event, participants will review and discuss submitted project ideas. We’ll then break into groups consisting of technologists and practitioners, and Wikipedia editors, selecting an idea or topic(s) to work on together for the day and (if desired) throughout the duration of the AMIA conference in the developers lounge.

The day itself will be structured something like this. Coffee/tea will be provided. Lunch is on your own.

9am – Welcome, introductions

9:30 - noon - Hacking & Wikipedia editing. Snacks and coffee to be served.

Noon-1pm – Lunch on your own.

1 - 4:30 - Hacking & Wikipedia editing. Snacks and coffee will be served.

4:30 - 5 - Wrap up.

Closing plenary & prizes

Projects will be presented towards the end of the conference. Projects will be judged by a panel as well as by conference attendees.

Summary

In association with the annual conference, the Association of Moving Image Archivists will host its 2nd annual hack day on October 8, 2014 in Savannah, GA. The event will be a unique opportunity for practitioners and managers of digital audiovisual collections to join with developers and engineers for an intense day of collaboration to develop solutions for digital audiovisual preservation and access. This year, we will be holding a concurrent Wikipedia Edit-a-thon[1] for those interested in adding to knowledge pool about audiovisual preservation and access. It will be fun and practical.

AMIA is again partnering with the Digital Library Federation in organizing the hack day. A robust and diverse community of practitioners who advance research, teaching and learning through the application of digital library research, technology and services, DLF brings years of experience creating and hosting events designed to foster collaboration and develop shared solutions for common challenges.

What if I’m not a developer?

Content managers and preservation practitioners are as central to the success of the event as having keen developers. YOU will be responsible for setting the agenda and the outcomes. The goal is to foster collaboration between audiovisual preservation specialists and technologists, to solve problems together and share expertise.

The day will also include a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon. So even if you're not a developer, nor feel compelled to lend your digital preservation ideas to software and code development, you can contribute to creating new or updated content on Wikipedia for the benefit of our community! You can read all about Wikipedia edit-a-thon events here.

Background

What is a hack day?

A hack day or hackathon is an event that brings together computer technologists and practitioners for an intense period of problem solving through computer programming. Within digital preservation and curation communities, hack days provide an opportunity for archivists, collection managers, and others to work together with technologists to develop software solutions for digital collections management needs. Hack days have been held independently by groups such as the Open Planets Foundation, as well as in association with preservation and access oriented conferences including Open Repositories and Museums and the Web.

The manifesto of a recent event at the Open Repositories conference framed the benefits this way: “Transparent, fun, open collaboration in diversely constituted teams...The creation of new professional networks over the ossification of old ones. Effective engagement of non-developers (researchers, repository managers) in development...Work done at the conference over presentation of something prepared earlier.”

Our Manifesto

Manifesto:

  • Transparent, fun, open collaboration in diversely constituted teams over individual brilliance and/or groups of like individuals in cut-throat competition.
  • The creation of new professional networks over the ossification of old ones
  • Effective engagement of non-developers (researchers, repository managers) in development over purely developer driven projects.
  • Work done at the conference over presentation of something prepared earlier (meaning not working on a project you a working on during your day job)

Hack Day Projects

Below are loose ideas for projects to hack on! If you're interested in one of the project stubs below, sign up for a wiki login and add your thoughtful comments or possible starting points to the proposal, or contact the proposer via twitter or email. As the Hack Day approaches, we'll brainstorm further and consolidate like-minded projects.

Hack day capture: GUI tool for BMDCapture, using FFmpeg + BMDTools + BlackMagic Decklink SDK

  •  Proposed by Dave Rice, @dericed
    • Lauren Sorensen - @laurensx
    • Dave Rice - @dericed
    • Tommy from Video Film Solutions
    • Shai Drori, Independent

Adding a GUI with XCode and adding some features to vrecord, an open source tool that can be used with Blackmagic hardware. Making it so it is controlled by the GUI (Mac), outputting to MOV container with various options for codec: uncompressed, FFV1, motion JPEG-2000, Prores. https://github.com/amiaopensource/hackdaycapture https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q6qEk3gHKNzf6jtEIzzl2-vKwjgUzOTXr6TmUej2mgc/edit

New and Improved PBCore Tools

This team is creating two PBCore 2.0 tools which can easily be updated when the next PBCore schema version is released. The tools include an updated PBCore XML record validator and PBCore XML record generator.

PBCore Validator

Updated and replaced application components to create an improved version based on the PBCore 2.0 XML. We are also including a Dublin Core validator through the same web application.

PBCore Record Generator

We built a basic Rails webform and extracted the PBCore export code from the WGBH project HydraDAM developed by WGBH and DCE so that we have a lightweight web application to enter metadata based on the PBCore data model and export in well-formed PBCore 2.0 XML. We are also planning to provide a Dublin Core export via this form.

Team Members

  • Proposed by Casey E. Davis, WGBH
  • Mark Bussey, DCE
  • Tessa Fallon, Collective Access
  • Crystal Sanchez, Smithsonian Institution
  • keithg, Virginia Tech


Video Characterization Comparison Viewer

The tool runs multiple command line video characterization applications (ffprobe, mediainfo, exiftool) on a given AV file/set of files and outputs the results in a format that is easy for comparative analysis. The aim of the tool is to identify differences in the outputs of these common applications, with the goal of better understanding the tools, and possibly submitting reports to their developers and eventually improving them.

Use cases for the tool

  • Compare different tool outputs in order to determine what tool to use in your characterization workflows
  • Reporting on differences in order to understand how the tool calculates the outputs
  • Identifying bugs in order to report to the tool developers

This project build on a similar project that was developed during the Open Repositories 2014 Developer Challenge (although the #AVHack14 version is bigger and better). Read more about that here.

Documentation

Team Members

  • Kara Van Malssen
  • Ben Fino-Radin
  • Morgan Morel
  • Joey Heinen
  • Nicole Martin
  • Karen Cariani
  • Eugene Gekhter


Video Sprites!

Video thumbnail summaries as metadata. Created a command line program (wrapped as a Ruby gem) that exports thumbnail images, a thumbnail sprite image, and WebVTT metadata. A user can run a bash command and specify an input video or folder of video and Video Sprites will utilize ffmpeg and ImageMagick to export these files.

Each command can be specified with the following flags.

  • -f for frames. Optional. Time between the snapshots. (Default 5 seconds.)
  • -w for width. Optional. Width of the each thumbnail. (Default 200.)
  • -c for columns. Number of columns in the sprite. (Default 5.)
  • -k for keep. Keep all the individual images and other intermediate artifacts.
  • -i for input. This is the only required field. (Default: Current working directory.)
  • -o for output. Output directory. (Default: Current working directory with "output" directory.)
  • -v for verbose. Detailed comments when processing.
  • -z for clean. Optional. Clear the output directory for files named like the input file before execution. (Defaults to false)
  • -h for help. Explains each flag.

Documentation

Team Members

  • (Proposed by) Jason Ronallo
  • Ashley Blewer
  • Nicholas Zoss
  • Jay Brown


ArchivesSpace plugins – AV_Space

A growing number of archival repositories are adopting ArchivesSpace for managing archival description. But out of the box, ASpace lacks support for AV specific data. We aim to do something about that.

  • Team: brianjhoffman [at] gmail [dawt] com (instigator and developer) ; jackb [at] illinois [dawt] edu ; seth [at] avpreserve [dawt] com ; ben.moskowitz [at] nyu [dawt] edu ; hfrost [at] stanford [dawt] edu ; villereal [at] gmail [dawt] com


Wikipedia/Documentation Edit-a-thon Projects

IRC: #curatecamp_avpres_2 If using an IRC client the server is chat.freenode.net, or you can use your browser and connect to webchat.freenode.net. If you are unfamiliar with IRC, take a look at this brief introduction.

Day-of tracking/worksheet here! Notes and tips doc

We’ll be hosting a concurrent Wikipedia edit-a-thon, which will focus on topics related to digital preservation & access for audiovisual materials. While we encourage non-engineers to participate in the hack day portion, there’s a lot of work to be done to describe topics relevant to our community on Wikipedia as well. (via AMIA Announcement) Below are loose ideas for Wiki projects or topics to edit! If you're interested in one of the project stubs below, sign up for a wiki login and add your thoughtful comments, or contact the proposer via twitter or email.

Haven't edited a Wiki before? No problem! We will have a brief crash course early in the day, with help available anytime! It's easy to learn, we promise.

AV Artifact Atlas

Team Members

  • Kristin MacDonough
  • Travis Wagner
  • Marleigh Chiles
  • Josephine McRobbie

Objective: Obtain and implement user feedback to improve the user experience

  • Proposal: The AVAA is intended for all levels of a/v knowledge, from experts and non-experts. While the resource provides a lot of useful information from experts, it benefits from more feedback and edits from general users. @super_kmac

Activities:

  • Review and discuss navigation and usability
  • Edit visual elements, interconnectivity, and links to external information and resources

Digital Preservation

Team Members:

Objective: Update and improve Digital Preservation Wikipedia entry

  • Proposal: Check out the great efforts to maintain and expand the Digital Preservation wiki page! "The scope of this project is to reorganize and revise the content of the current Digital Preservation article so that it reflects the current state of the field and is better suited to ongoing updating and editing. We will also review related articles to determine their content and relationship to the main article. A further goal of this effort is to include links to relevant standards and best practices in the field of digital preservation." Thanks to Lauren Sorenson and Andrea Goethals for suggesting. -- kgronsbell @k_grons

Activities:

FFmpeg Guides

Team Members

    • Rebecca Fraimow**
    • Erica Titkemeyer**

Objective: Make ffmpeg easier to understand and use

  • Final doc from last year here
  • Link to last year's project page with helpful links here
  • This is like a proof of concept but I'd really like to make it AWESOME! It also needs to be totally refactored into a non-Rails app - Ashley here

Activities