CURATEcamp Exhibition: Exhibition in and of the Digital Age
There will be a one-day CURATEcamp following this years DigitalPreservation 2013 conference in Arlington, VA.
We are focusing this camp on exploring the idea of exhibition. You can read more about the topic below. The facilitators will be Trevor Owens, digital archivist at the Library of Congress, Sharon Leon, director of public projects at the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media, and Michael Edson, director of web and new media strategy at the Smithsonian Institution.
Registration is open now! & Space is limited.
- WHEN: Thursday July 25, 2013 (9am - 4pm)
- WHERE: Westin Alexandria, 400 Courthouse Square, Alexandria, VA 22314
- COST: Free, there is no cost to register for the meeting
- LOGISTICS: The hotel is about .7 mile from theKing Street Metro. You can walk or take a taxi (about $5). The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle that can be arranged with the concierge. If you're coming from out of town, more info about how to get to the hotel is here
- DISCUSSION: #curatecamp on Twitter and #curatecamp on irc.freenode.net
CURATEcamp Exhibition Theme
An exhibition involves organizing, contextualizing and displaying collection items. As cultural heritage organizations increasingly make both digitized and born-digital materials available, we find a range of opportunities for exhibiting them. Thinking broadly about the idea of exhibition, everything from faceted browsing and visualizations to linear and non-linear modes of presenting materials, is part of the interpretive framework through which users make sense of collection materials.
Potential Session Topics
- Open Authority and Curatorial Voice
- Online Exhibition at Scale
- Visualization as Exhibition
- Exhibiting Born Digital Objects
- Interpretation for Mobile Devices
- Digital Storytelling and Cultural Heritage Collections
- Collection Interfaces that Contextualize
- Storytelling and Linked Data
- Social Media as Exhibition
- Citizen Curators
- Blogs as Serialized Exhibits
- Data Journalism as inspiration for Exhibition
You can also share ideas you have for topics in the comments on the blog post announcement.
CURATEcamp Exhibition Schedule