Welcome SAA 2013 Campers!
Thanks for registering! & Welcome to CURATECamp SAA 2013, to be held Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 (10am - 4pm) in New Orleans (Location: TBD). We're very excited about continuing to build a SAA community around digital curation.
CURATEcamp is based on the BarCamp or "unconference" model. Here you'll find information on what you can expect of CURATEcamp, what will be expected of Campers, the overall theme for discussion topics, and some next steps for you.
To learn more about CURATEcamp, visit http://curatecamp.org/about for background on past camps. There is also a google group and wiki. Join in on the discussion & see what others have been talking about:
- Bring a computing device. Discussion is great, but demonstration and interaction is even better. Plus, there will be wifi provided at the preconference location.
- Get there a few minutes early to get situated and to grab your name tag.
- We’ll start on Tuesday morning by gathering together in one space, going around the room to introduce ourselves and to describe what we're passionate about (or want to talk about). There will also be some housekeeping announcements. After this, we’ll jump into discussion.
- We’ll follow the “open agenda” model, sitting in a roughly circular configuration. The meeting organizers will ask for proposed topics, recording them for a group vote, and then we'll chunk the discussions into 30 minute slots per topic. At the end of each 30 minute slot, we’ll vote on continuing the current topic or moving to the next one.
- After discussing a few topics for the designated amount of time, we'll take a break for lunch. Lunch will be on your own. We hope you use lunchtime to interact with fellow campers and keep the conversations going.
- The afternoon will be much like the morning. The main purpose is to connect folks who are eager to share their perspectives and hear those of others. People are encouraged to add topics to the list during breaks and lunch. Late in the afternoon, we begin wrapping up the discussion.
- For those who are interested, we can go to a local spot for a bite and drinks at the end of the day so we can discuss what we've heard and continue networking with peers!
HOW TO PREPARE FOR CURATECAMP
Start thinking about topics you would like to discuss. Here are a few ideas:
- Workflows used for acquiring, processing, preserving and providing access to digital archives
- Novel uses of tools for preserving born-digital material
- Challenges you’re facing with hardware, software or legacy media
- Emulation or migration strategies
- Use cases on providing access to born-digital material
- Demos of software
- Integration of data curation into the archives workflow
- How can archivists be actively involved in software/curation services development
Need more ideas? See the resources listed below.
- http://curatecamp.org/ (look at past CURATEcamp pages for ideas on left hand side of page)
- http://datacurationprofiles.org/ (see also Resources Page)
WHAT YOU CAN DO BETWEEN NOW AND THE CAMP
First and foremost, think about some curation-related topics you'd like to discuss. When you're ready, you can add your ideas to the CURATEcamp wiki by simply requesting a login, then editing this page: CURATEcamp SAA 2013 Discussion Ideas
If you have any questions or requests, send them to Courtney C. Mumma (email@example.com) or Cristela Garcia-Spitz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We're looking forward to seeing you all in New Orleans!